Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Technical Tips and Tactical Bits
 Best AR15 Mags?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5567 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  21:31:13  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK guys. I bought some inexpensive Thermold mags and am having feeding problems. What do you all recommend for price and reliability?

FW
Advanced Member

USA
606 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  22:09:13  Show Profile Send FW a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last time I was at Camp Perry, I noted that the AMU was using PMAGS.
Go to Top of Page

anewname

USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  23:44:01  Show Profile Send anewname a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been using the magpul pmag 20 with the 5 and 10 round limiters. I have yet to have a single feeding issue. If you are looking for 30 round magazines I would also suggest the pmags. There are several videos on YouTube with people running them over with trucks and they still feed. I have been very impressed with all the magpul products.
Go to Top of Page

DocHolladay
Advanced Member

USA
1305 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  19:38:28  Show Profile Send DocHolladay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PMag from every thing I have read and buddies that shoot alot. I saw some metal mags the other day that run the same anti-tilt follower that Magpul uses.

Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff!
Go to Top of Page

remmyltr
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  11:40:22  Show Profile Send remmyltr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P mags fer sure..followers buttery smooth....purchase @ 44mag.com..15 bucks a piece no shipping.........30 rounders..
Go to Top of Page

remmyltr
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  11:40:55  Show Profile Send remmyltr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P mags fer sure..followers buttery smooth....purchase @ 44mag.com..15 bucks a piece no shipping.........30 rounders..
Go to Top of Page

remmyltr
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  11:41:38  Show Profile Send remmyltr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Onondaga
Advanced Member

USA
2503 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  17:54:32  Show Profile Send Onondaga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found that US Government Issue 20 rounders work best for me. I also make my own follower limiters for them to limit capacity to 5 rounds for legal hunting in my state of NY.

It is really helpful to learn to adjust damaged magazines yourself. An armorer gave me a fine lesson in that. I am not up to writing a post on AR15 Magazine adjusting and fitting but that would be a fine addition here to help shooters evaluate and repair their magazines.

Basically, I use indicator ink, measurements and visual comparison, bending, banging and filing and polishing to get an excellently performing magazine and just trudge through the process till the magazine is functioning well again. I prefer the aluminum GI mags. My friends say I am a wizard at fixing AR magazines and I keep getting better the more magazines they trash!

Pounding magazines in too hard, crookedly and yanking them out crooked actually does more damage than dropping or throwing them. In general, if the magazine catch isn't working well and the magazine doesn't easily click in and easily drop out, it is an abused magazine that needs a tune-up and your rifle function will suffer till the magazine is fixed.

By far , the worst magazines for an AR are the steel ones made of thinner gauge steel than the gauge of GI aluminum magazines. The thicker GI aluminum holds it shape better than the thinner steel aftermarket magazines no matter how much they cost or whose manufacturer name is on them.

Basic magazine maintenance helps too. I dissemble, check/repair burrs and galling, brush clean and then wax all parts surfaces with Johnsons Paste wax but don't polish the wax off any internal surfaces.

Gary

Fine rifles are never really owned.

Edited by - Onondaga on Aug 02 2012 18:31:57
Go to Top of Page

Gregory
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  22:25:36  Show Profile Send Gregory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
same here. GI 20's work best for me. I haven't really had many issues with the GI 30's either. But I try and take care of my mags best I can, as thats where I have seen the most issues in the past on the ranges and such.
Go to Top of Page

coyoteklr
Advanced Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2013 :  22:17:01  Show Profile Send coyoteklr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2cents.... p-mags don't look back....

The first taste of Texas still lingers in my heart and on my tongue.

FASTER HORSES

Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
5567 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2013 :  15:11:21  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this and now agree that P-mags are the best. I also have a few military mags and they are OK too but the P-mags have been 100% reliable. Threw the Thermold mags away. Not worth a bullet to shoot at them as targets.

Also a young US vet who spent at least one tour in IRAQ said he and his buddies preferred P-mags hands down.

Edited by - Shastaboat on Dec 24 2013 15:13:34
Go to Top of Page

anewname

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  17:36:27  Show Profile Send anewname a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never had a pmag fail in any hunting or shooting situation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06