Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Rifle Reloading
 Single Shot Rifle
 My #1 is accurate.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

339 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  22:00:30  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took my Ruger #1, heavy barrel varmint model, to the range today. It is in .225 Winchester. It was originally a .223, rechambered to .225. It really does shoot. With the Hornady 50 grain soft point over 28 grains of IMR 3031, I shot several groups where all the holes were touching. I went up to 30 grains of 3031 w/ the same bullet and the groups started to open up a little. It also likes 55 grain Winchester factory loads and will shoot cloverleaf groups with the Win factories also.
I had no fliers and no stringing as I have read that some #1's will do. With my light weight #1 in 7x57, I do get the occasional flier, but I don't think I'm going to go to all of accurizing tricks with it. It shoots pretty good as is.
7x57guy

Kansas Ed
Advanced Member

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2012 :  22:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Kansas Ed's Homepage Send Kansas Ed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see someone appreciating that long forgotten number. Don't hear much about the .225 anymore. It was Winchester's answer to the .22-250 and didn't get enough praise early on. Great round. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ed

Are we there yet???
Go to Top of Page

paparuger

USA
236 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  10:41:42  Show Profile Send paparuger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the only trouble I have with #1's are I don't have enough of them! And why would you give one away to your son while you can still walk and snort?
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3296 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  16:02:03  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paparuger

the only trouble I have with #1's are I don't have enough of them! And why would you give one away to your son while you can still walk and snort?

Me too. I think I have 21, or is it 22, I've lost count. I've been buying them sonce 1975 when the money came available. I've only had to send one back, a #1A in (GASP!) 7x57. It had a throat almost 3" long and there was no accuracy. It thought it was a cylinder bore shotgun. It took 7 months to get it back but now it shoots quite nicely. I recently found out it shoots the Hornady 175 gr. round nose into very nice clusters. Why is it when I find a bullet a gun likes, the company discontinues it? My Winchester M70 Featherweight loves the Sierra 170 gr. RN and Sierra dropped it oner 10 years ago. My Ruger 77 loved the Speer 165 gr. Hot Hore and in fact, that is the only bullet it will shoot, period! So Speer drops the Hot-Core line. GRRRR! I tried the Sierra 165 gr. Gaame King in that .308 and it was all over the place. About 4" was the best that one trick pony would do. If their new replacement for the Hot-Core doesn't shoot, dunno what I'll do as it's one of my most favoered rifles.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page

Rapier
Advanced Member

USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  16:47:59  Show Profile Send Rapier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,
You need to build yourself a 13, the #1 wood and barrel on a #3. I have one and the makings for another, wood and all.
Ed

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"
Go to Top of Page

270win
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  19:28:14  Show Profile Send 270win a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MY wife and my hunting pal shoots a #1b in 25-06rem Its heavy and offered to build her a custom 700 rem in 270 win . BUT she says no way . She loves her heavy gun and shoots it well ! I was very proud when she shot her antalope at 250 yrds , NEVER TWITCHED> Whnt to buy 2 #1"s in 7mm-08 for our MICHIGAN deer rifles, short sweet and easy to pack.
Go to Top of Page

Paul B
Advanced Member

3296 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  13:10:42  Show Profile Send Paul B a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Whnt to buy 2 #1"s in 7mm-08 for our MICHIGAN deer rifles, short sweet and easy to pack."

I don't know if Ruger makes a #1in any version in 7MM-08. Try chasing down a couple of #1A's in 7x57. With careful handloading you can easily equal the 7MM-08 and even surpass it. To be perfectly honest, even the downloaded to be safe in old mausers Winchester 145 gr. Power point load is a darn good deer slayer and is accurate in my three 7x57 rifles. Groups run one inch in thr #1A, .75" in the M70 FWT and between .50" to .75" in the custom Mauser depending on what kind of a day I'm having. Ruger is only going to chamber the 7x57 in, I believe the RSI model this year only. Seems like they're going to only make #1 rifles as limited run models at least for the forseeable future.
Paul B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06