Target
 6.5x55 swedish mauser
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shooter98k

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  22:33:52  Show Profile Send shooter98k a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an old 6.5x55 carl gustaf swedish mauser i am trying to find out if anyone knows if they are any good for target shooting....not competition just fooling around at long range

Judged by 12 not carried by 6

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4698 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  22:55:19  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Gustafs works just fine for "plinking". I actually prefer my 1894 Norwegian Krag for the distance shooting. It was kind of a parts gun, so I mounted a scope on it and it shoots fine. You will have lots of fun with it. If you have any serious concerns about shootability of the gun, take it to a qualified gunsmith and have them pressure test it.
Go to Top of Page

shooter98k

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  09:02:10  Show Profile Send shooter98k a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey i appreciate the info. I have serveral cutom rifles just got this one from my old man for xmas and dont know alot about them...thinking about taking the barrel off and turning it into a benchrest rifle its close to a 6.5-284

Go to Top of Page

bolo

218 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  09:06:16  Show Profile Send bolo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is original,matching and in decent shape...DON"T!
They have already doubled in value in the last 5 years
and are one of the most accurate MILSURP rifles around.
Do a little reasearch before you destroy it.
John
Go to Top of Page

Hockeynick39
Advanced Member

USA
4698 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:32:09  Show Profile  Send Hockeynick39 an AOL message Send Hockeynick39 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amen to what bolo said. If it is all matching parts and decent shape, save it , don't destroy it!.
Go to Top of Page

shooter98k

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  19:28:55  Show Profile Send shooter98k a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the only thing that doesnt match is the front stock ring but everything else has the same numbers.....it is all still original the barrel looks brand

Go to Top of Page

shooter98k

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  19:29:40  Show Profile Send shooter98k a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry the barrel looks brand new

Go to Top of Page

cfvickers
Advanced Member

1902 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  22:35:14  Show Profile Send cfvickers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine will shoot a 1.5 inch open standard sights group at 100 yards with every factory 140 gr load I have put in it. I found that to be pretty remarkable. I fired the first shot out of it though and really don't want to drill and tap it. All original with matching numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Flyin Brian
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  00:09:58  Show Profile Send Flyin Brian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shoot Swedish Mausers in Military rifle competitions at our local range and the Swedes pretty much dominate the board, along with the Swiss rifles. You can get beautiful brass from Nosler and they also make a 140gr match bullet that works great. The first time I shot one I got pissed because it made all my other military rifles look bad ;)
Go to Top of Page

Shastaboat
Advanced Member

USA
9148 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  02:41:31  Show Profile Send Shastaboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, Welcome. You are responding to an almost 3 year old post. Lot's gets said about the 6.5x55 Sweede here. Pretty much all good stuff. In fact I can't remember anyone saying anything bad about the rifles or the chambering. I've gotten mine to shoot cast at 1" MOA.

Edited by - Shastaboat on Oct 26 2012 02:42:00
Go to Top of Page

Flyin Brian
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  11:12:02  Show Profile Send Flyin Brian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I guess I should have looked at the date stamp. I figured anything on the first page would be recent ;)
Go to Top of Page

41magnum

USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  13:31:26  Show Profile Send 41magnum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfvickers

really don't want to drill and tap it.

No need to, with B-square scope mounts that go where the rear sight is, just use a EER scope.

Usually available from www.midwayusa.com, or www.brownells.com or www.midsouthshooters.com

The Ten Commandments are not suggestions.
www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06