Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 New 8mm Rem Mag & Range Report

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IMR4350 Posted - Jul 18 2012 : 15:49:44
Have you ever wondered what something would be like, but you never quit had the opportunity to actually experience it. It is like a special hunting trip you dream about for years. It continually alludes you and then, all of a sudden, you have this UNPRECEDENTED OPPORTUNITY to make it a reality, but it is a fleeting moment at best and you must grab it or it will fly away.

You see, my life was quite, calm and pretty settled as I was approaching this coming hunting season with things already laid out, but taped out on money due to my grandson's schooling and my hunting trips. Now that is a good thing considering the fact that without money I could not be temped to buy any new rifles. WRONG!! I was temped!

I opened up and email from a friend of mine and he said I know you have expressed interest in this 8mm Rem Mag and I wanted to give you first shot. Now understand that this rifle has only had ten rounds fired in it since the day it left the factory.

I will never forget a story I read by Craig Boddington years ago about a sheep hunt he went on and the the rifle and cartridge he used was a custom 8mm Rem Mag. I was hooked forever, but never able at the right time to run across one in good condition, when I had the money, but sometimes you just have to bit the bullet and do what is needed to fulfill a dream.

8mm Rem Mag 220gr Sierra SBT

left to right
7mm08, 300Wby, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win mag

8mm Rem Mag Range Report - 220gr Sierra SBT, RL-25 and RL-22, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers, OAL 3.600", Velocity 3009fps

My initial thread on the 8mm Rem Mag was one of presentation and theory. This thread has to do with empirical evidence and fact, so hence a new thread.

It was an awesome and interesting morning to say the least and the 8mm Rem Mag is a beast at both ends. Anyone who says he likes to shoot an 8mm Rem Mag at the bench for more than 21-25 rounds has something truly wrong with them. Now that said, I am use to a 340Wby without a break shooting 225gr bullets which generates 43.0ft pounds of free recoil. The velocity of recoil though is just a tad slower than the 8mm Rem Mag even though marginal I felt the difference. Here are the stats on the free recoil and velocity of recoil for the 8mm Rem Mag with a 220gr Sierra SBT moving 3009fps on the average.

Cartridge: 8mm Rem Mag
Firearm: Remington 700
Load and Firearm Info:
Bullet Dia (in): 0.323
Case Length (in): 2.850
Case Volume (gr H2O):
93.5 Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3009
Bullet Wt (gr): 220
Charge Weight (gr): 86
Barrel Length (in): 24
Firearm Weight (lb): 8.50
Free recoil energy is 42.1 ft-lb. (57.1 Joule)

FACTOIDS:
Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 18 ft/sec. (5.4 m/sec)
(This is equivalent to dropping the 8.50 lb gun from a height of 5 feet.)
The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.14 in (3.6 mm) of travel
Recoil impulse is 4.7 lbf-sec (21 Newton-sec)
Powder gases generate about 38 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

Now the recoil thing out of the way - I found RL-25 to give me higher velocities for max load in my rifle over RL-22. Also, it gave me better accuracy, better extreme spread and better deviation. Now this is not a bench gun, it is a purer hunting rifle. My last group was actually the fastest velocity wise and also the best accuracy. Temps were low 80's with 91% humidity and my elevation was 105ft above sea level.

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-22 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was 1.2"

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-25 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was .866", Extreme spread 20 Deviation 10
Note: (this was my last group shot for the day, and recoil was taking its toll and I was still getting use to my trigger, so this is in my opinion a good load for hunting)

top velocity of the day

All and all I am very excited about the 8mm Rem Mag in a fine rifle to use on big game. It is evident that anything hit with this 8mm Rem Mag will die quickly if not immediately depending on shot placement, but this beast will end the life of any beast hit with it and more than likely be DRT. Very impressive cartridge. Yes I can't wait to hunt with it.

THIS COMING FRIDAY MORNING'S EXPERIMENT

200gr Accbond - using MRP, RL-25, RL-22,IMR7828ssc
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IMR4350 Posted - Oct 09 2012 : 11:27:53
I have decided to build a custom 8mm Rem Mag for next seasons hunt with a 27" barrel and a friend which has one said that I can get over 3100fps (his averaging 3120fps) with a 220gr Sierra SBT and this will be my long range round for gas lines, large open fields and out west. Started the process yesterday and will be working out the details over the next two months so we can begin the build after the 1st of the year.

Here is the reason I will be doing this as you can see below on the Hornady Hits calculator the reasons for it being long range round on big game.

8mm Rem Mag 220gr bullet at 600yds is still moving at 2110 - NEED I SAY MORE?
Game weight that can be taken at 600yds 1397 pounds
IMR4350 Posted - Oct 08 2012 : 11:58:01
Well, the full bedding didn't improve the groups but is as good as they were. Here is a sample target. Also, this ends my work for now with the 8mm Rem Mag unless I take something this season with the rifle.

IMR4350 Posted - Oct 05 2012 : 09:10:41
Yes, I sure hope it does well Monday.
Hockeynick39 Posted - Oct 05 2012 : 06:02:05
That's a nice job so far, Mike. Can't wait for the report.
IMR4350 Posted - Oct 04 2012 : 22:23:01
Full length bedding my 8mm Rem Mag

Expanding the recoil lug area.

Doing my final sanding of the barrel channel after expanding the recoil lug area.

The recoil area lug area turned out nice and there is now no movement like I experienced before I bedded the stock. Still have to trim a bit and clean it up some.

The stock needs set for another 12 hours and I will put the barrel in sometime tomorrow morning and then Monday morning will go and see how it shoots.
IMR4350 Posted - Sep 29 2012 : 18:36:10
I have decided to do a full length glass (Acraglass) bedding job on my 8mm Rem mag. I will be doing the bedding on my rifle in the next week or so. It is a rifle I intend to carry in fairly rough conditions, which I'm thinking may occur with the kind of game my gun is appropriate for when I take some trips especially next year.

I will full length bed it and that keeps mud, debris and water from getting in my barrel channel and freezing, because of the tough hunts I will take this rifle on with conditions like, rain, snow, heat and humidity, as well as dry hot conditions in some places. Also, another plus will be with a full bedding job prevents me from having to remove a bunch of material from the stock as well.
IMR4350 Posted - Sep 29 2012 : 18:25:08
quote:
Originally posted by bobnob

quote:
Originally posted by IMR4350

Well, I have my name added to GS Custom Bullet list to notify when they start production in the US. I will wait till then, the prices are to high for the bullets shipped from South Africa. Including shipping from South Africa for a box of 180gr is 87.00 and one box of the 170gr is 83.00 and I would need at least two boxes of either one to do proper load work and have enough for practice at distance and final sight-in. I will wait!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHH!

We pay that much money for 150g Nosler Partitions in 270 or 308 cal in Australia! And that's assuming 50 bullets a box.

And we pay twice as much for a pound of Australian made ADI powder as you pay after it's sent to the US and then re-labeled as Hodgdon powder!

So I know how you feel!

WoW, amazing indeed.
IMR4350 Posted - Sep 29 2012 : 18:24:00
quote:
Originally posted by coyotin

Great posting on the 8mm mag... I also read your posting on the .338 Win Mag.... How would you compare the two ?

I am still in the process of of drawing an overall conclusion on the 8mm Rem Mag and would like to finish this hunting season and some more range work before I draw a head to head comparison of the 8mm with any magnum cartridge especially the .338Win Mag and 340Wby. I still believe I will have 2800fps plus from this 8mm Rem Mag with a 24" barrel using a 250gr bullet and if so that will play into an overall view of the 8mm Rem mag as it compares to other Magnums. I promise I will but I have not even hunted with this rifle yet and fixing to do a full length bedding job to boot.
bobnob Posted - Sep 28 2012 : 06:26:54
quote:
Originally posted by IMR4350

Well, I have my name added to GS Custom Bullet list to notify when they start production in the US. I will wait till then, the prices are to high for the bullets shipped from South Africa. Including shipping from South Africa for a box of 180gr is 87.00 and one box of the 170gr is 83.00 and I would need at least two boxes of either one to do proper load work and have enough for practice at distance and final sight-in. I will wait!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHH!

We pay that much money for 150g Nosler Partitions in 270 or 308 cal in Australia! And that's assuming 50 bullets a box.

And we pay twice as much for a pound of Australian made ADI powder as you pay after it's sent to the US and then re-labeled as Hodgdon powder!

So I know how you feel!
coyotin Posted - Sep 27 2012 : 14:45:41
Great posting on the 8mm mag... I also read your posting on the .338 Win Mag.... How would you compare the two ?
IMR4350 Posted - Sep 26 2012 : 11:09:35
IMR4350 Posted - Sep 25 2012 : 17:57:18
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

Mike,
If GS does send you the distributor info, please pass it along. They have some bullets that I may wish to try in a few different calibers. Thanks.

Nick

Nick I sure will, as soon as they respond back to me.
Hockeynick39 Posted - Sep 25 2012 : 17:27:41
Mike,
If GS does send you the distributor info, please pass it along. They have some bullets that I may wish to try in a few different calibers. Thanks.

Nick
IMR4350 Posted - Sep 25 2012 : 12:14:25
According to Q/L the 180gr GS Custom has a BC .463, 4175ft pounds of energy at muzzle using IMR7828, still 2000ft pounds of energy at 560yds, 2.4" high at 100yds with a zero of 270yds, -5 at 350yds not bad not bad at all - plus still moving at 2174fps at 600yds and the GS will open up at 1500/1600fps (these ballistics are calculated at 4,000ft the lowest elevation I will encounter in Arizona where I am thinking about using them).

Now if GS will return my email about a USA distributor since they are setting up shop in the USA to manufacture the GS Custom I will get them faster. The GS out performed the TSX and TTSX in my 257Wby and 30-06 on terminal results on deer when I used them alternating between the two bullets during a 3yr period. Also, I have been able so far with 200gr, 220gr and 250gr bullets to duplicate with my Big 8 the velocities Q/L estimated and in one case even higher velocities. This will be truly interesting when I get some.
IMR4350 Posted - Sep 24 2012 : 15:01:51
Thanks Jim, yes, I do love those Sierra Game Kings on most big game I hunt. Can't wait to use this setup this year.

The 8mm Rem mag that can shoot a 220gr bullet at 3003 - 3018fps plus, sighted in at 2.4 high at 100yds and -5 at 320yds. Having 4405ft pounds of energy at muzzle and still having 2017ft pounds of energy at 600yds. This ain't no kittycat, it is a full blown Tiger.

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06