Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Las Vegas, Nevada

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shastaboat Posted - Oct 04 2017 : 09:21:55
Now that some of the facts are coming to light regarding shooter Stephen Paddock; his firearms; LACK of obvious motives; his personal and family relationships but most important of all the feelings of grief by family and friends of the victims, we can try to mentally process what has happened.

Many of you probably don't know the general demographics of Nevada with Las Vegas being extremely left wing and an enclave of liberalism and Democrats and local Government advocates of Gun Control. The balance of the state populace is quite conservative except for many of Reno city officials including the Mayor of Reno who is also a liberal Democrat.

We have found out that Paddock moved to Nevada in 2015 and was prior living in Florida but was born in California. Also that his father was a criminal psychopath. He apparently did not have a Facebook account and was not active on social media. We have much more to learn about him and hopefully his girlfriend, who returned to Nevada this morning from the Philippines, can help us learn who he was. Also I've heard he was divorced and maybe his ex-wife can also provide information. Based on his brother's interview, it would appear that his brother did not know him very well.

We are getting some info that some of his weapons were AR15 variants equipped with bump-stocks. Additional weapons and bomb making materials were also found in both his Mesquite and Reno homes. He apparently was a retired accountant and had been attempting to be a gambler, loosing approximately $10K per day for several days prior to the shooting. He also wired $100,000.00 to a bank account in the Philippines prior to the shooting. His net value estimated at $2,000,000.00.

President Trump is due in Las Vegas today. The Democrats are already using this tragedy to promote Gun Control. I've heard that $35.00 bump stocks are now selling for $300.00.

The question is WHY?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shastaboat Posted - Oct 15 2017 : 08:23:55
quote:
Originally posted by WonderMan4

Good luck on the hunt and don't forget to pack plenty of your 338 Win Mag ammo.

How will they fit in our .257 Roberts chambers? I am taking my 7x57SAI as a back-up weapon.
Shastaboat Posted - Oct 15 2017 : 08:22:40
Down at Lake Powell, there is no cell phone reception; no power; no improvements of any kind once you get away from the improved marina areas. Think Porta-potty...
Zero333 Posted - Oct 14 2017 : 21:21:07
I love camping.

We always go to Algonquin Park here in Ontario Canada.
About 7 or 8 years ago they put up antennas along the road that goes through the park so the campsites closer to the road have cell phone reception. It took some of the wild out of camping knowing there is cell phone reception, but thankfully there are plenty campsites that are VERY far from any kind of civilization. When I say far I mean... You're already 40 miles inside the park, then a boat taxi's you and tows your canoe for half hour up a lake, then you paddle another 4 to 8 hours to your site.

There are trails that take a few weeks to walk with everything you need on your back.

WonderMan4 Posted - Oct 14 2017 : 21:06:01
Good luck on the hunt and don't forget to pack plenty of your 338 Win Mag ammo.
Shastaboat Posted - Oct 14 2017 : 10:37:23
I just got back from a week of boat camping on the Escalante at Lake Powell. Still no word on the shooter's possible motive. Didn't think about this issue or Iran or N. Korea or any other ill of society while there. Fishing was great, water temps were a little cooler than expected and the wind came up on one evening and blew our camp in Willow Cyn all to hell with sand into everything but the trip was still grand. I just wish I was 30 years younger as the dome tent, air mattresses and sleeping bags get hard to do. Next time may have to get a group to share rental on a houseboat...Truly a spiritual place. Long drive from Reno, NV. Had to stay over in Ely, NV Thursday night and make the drive in two days. I haven't been there in 20 years. Lots more commercial and a whole lot more US Nat'l Park involvement and fees charged, mussel inspection, boat patrols, camp inspections for porta potties, etc...lots more people there this time of year. Guess the word got out that October boat camping is the cat's meow...

Now getting ready to drive to Colorado for a cow elk hunt. Leaving Tuesday hauling my toy hauler and Can Am Defender UTV. At least I'll have all the comforts of home.
Kosh75287 Posted - Oct 08 2017 : 20:51:45
quote:
I would say the fmj was because they are the most readily available and common in large quantities in the calibers he was said to have used.
I'M thinking the FMJ choice was to minimize feeding failures, if not an expense consideration (the B@$T@RD).
quote:

No one mentions that he could have killed almost as many with a sniper rifle and a suppressor, aiming at specific targets. Would take several rifles to keep 'em cool. A bolt action will heat up much quicker than an auto, case stays in the chamber longer after firing. For that matter a semi-auto that was aimed would have been as deadly.
AND if we're wise, we won't tell the gun-grabbers about it, either.

BTW, I'm glad to see posts from friends from whom I haven't heard in a while. HELLUVA subject to bring us all together, but I'm glad to read posts from all of you, nonetheless. I think it's because we all feel compelled to dissect and analyze an evil thing in the hope of preventing it from happening too many more times. That speaks of intelligent men, who try to do what is right and good. What's that old Latin proverb? "Whom goodness would unite, evil cannot separate"?
woods Posted - Oct 08 2017 : 17:26:44
No one mentions that he could have killed almost as many with a sniper rifle and a suppressor, aiming at specific targets. Would take several rifles to keep 'em cool. A bolt action will heat up much quicker than an auto, case stays in the chamber longer after firing.

For that matter a semi-auto that was aimed would have been as deadly.

The only way to mitigate or even stop something like this would be to have trained snipers on hand to fire back at those windows.

"The ONLY thing that stops a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun" Wayne LaPierre

southdakbearfan Posted - Oct 06 2017 : 17:52:31
I would say the fmj was because they are the most readily available and common in large quantities in the calibers he was said to have used.

Paul B Posted - Oct 06 2017 : 17:36:23
"I feel morbid wondering this.....why did he use full metal jacket?

Not trying to sound snide or being a wiseass but could it be they were cheaper so he could buy more? Weren't they originally thought to be more damaging because they tumbled after hitting their target?

On his mental state, who knows. I've read where he was on some form of generic valium that was supposed to create anger issues with some people.. WTF? His girl friend has stated that sometimes he would wake up in the middle of the night screaming. She felt he had mental issues which point she passed on to the FBI.

If all the above is correct, he's taking a med for an unknown (to us) condition that causes him to be extremely angry and wakes him up in the middle of the night screaming. Wonder if he was on Ritalin when he was a kid???? May or may not have been the person spotted at an anti-Trump rally in Reno. Danged if I know what to think.

The fact is he is gone and we may never know what his real motivation may have been.
Was he just a P.O.ed antifa type acting on the premise that they want to up the action to real violence, or was it jus a serious long lasting phsycotic episode brought about by the wrong meds? Maybe it was just his way of getting his 15 minutes of infamy.
Paul B.
southdakbearfan Posted - Oct 05 2017 : 21:05:06
Looks like the NRA called for an ATF review of bump stocks.
WonderMan4 Posted - Oct 05 2017 : 12:19:42
Feinstein already has a new bill written for the occasion. I am assuming that she pulled it from her file cabinet in the achives.

A few Republicans are saying they would support banning bump stocks for rifles. Bump stocks were approved in 2010 by the ATF and determined that they would not pose any threat to society.

The Republican leaders are doing their due diligence in stating that now is not the time for any legislation of a knee jerk reaction.

Of course the media is rousing the people into wanting immediate response in the form of legislation. Go figure.

The ATF stated that the guy wasn't on the radar even though is is thought to have purchased 25 long guns last year, and if he had purchased more than a few handguns, they would have known.

Now let's see what they do next. I predict that long gun purchases will put the buyer on the radar when it is all said and almost done.

Zero333 Posted - Oct 05 2017 : 11:00:15
We will never know what was going in his head.

Maybe he thought everyone was out to get him ? Maybe someone drugged him with Hyoscine (Scopolamine) and suggested he do this ? Maybe all people looked like demons to him ? Maybe he thought he was doing the right thing ?

Everything is possible, even tho logically speaking from what we're being told he had major mental issues, but I never discount the possibility of a conspiracy.

The very first thing I questioned is why kill that many innocent people and not have a shootout with the good guys ? Yes he was a first rate coward, mentally ill and what he did makes no sense, so him committing suicide is not that hard to believe.
Anything and everything is possible.

One thing that is 100% for real is that dozens of innocent people were murdered.

bad arrow Posted - Oct 05 2017 : 08:53:01
There were people in LV from my area and at least 2 people were shot who live nearby me, everyone I know seemed to know someone who was there, my boss was there 1 year ago. One guy from here was shot in the head (and lived) the bullet looks like it entered about 1/2" down from the top of his head, going in and coming out about 2" across his skull.
The other gentleman was hit in the upper arm, with no expansion, both wounds look like full metal jacket as they never expanded, pencil sized holes in and out, good thing they were not hit with soft point bullets.
I feel morbid wondering this.....why did he use full metal jacket?
ethmoid1999 Posted - Oct 04 2017 : 23:27:43
Sorry, mtmuley.
mtmuley Posted - Oct 04 2017 : 21:43:22
Think I might be done here for awhile. Seems to be wackos here too. mtmuley

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06