Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 New build .243 AI

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bobnob Posted - Aug 26 2017 : 23:23:34
Thought I'd share some details and get some feedback on a build I've just committed to.

Looking for a great all-rounder in this one. A relatively compact - though not lightweight - hunting rifle that's capable of stretching the legs out to one kilometre when I'm after a bit of fun.

Donor action is a Vanguard short action stainless steel. Current chambering is a (probably) shot-out 22-250. I'm not making the mistake of shooting it in case it is too accurate to dismantle!

By the look of it this rifle has been floating around in the bed of the truck with fence posts and kelpies for a few years. It's pretty rough...

The rifle seems mechanically very sound however. While is scratched and marred in places and even has a little surface rust, everything looks and feels solid and functions fine.

Trigger seems to have been worked as it's light and crisp with a great feel; I reckon about 1.5 pounds so that's a win.

Anyway the purpose of the rifle will be a good deal of carrying and shooting at pigs mainly, as well as some deer and goats. There will be some shooting offhand, some prone and some with improvised rests; logs, trees etc.

It will also be used to shoot from the truck a good bit as well at times. Sometimes when it's just an extermination job on pigs I will shoot from the vehicle.

Chambering will be 243 AI. Barrel is a 1-7" twist Hardy stainless bbl from NZ. I aim to shoot the Sierra 110g SMK for the long game, and possibly the Berger 105 Hunting VLD or Hornady 105g BTHP for more general work.

Will probably finish the barrel around 21-22" and possibly a magnum or light varmint contour.

The horrible plastic stock on it will go. Maybe a McMillan or Manners? Looking for something not too bulky or heavy. It's not a bench gun. Perhaps a McM Classic or Game Scout. Thoughts?

The donor is off at the 'smith now. Waiting on the bbl order to arrive from New Zealand, will be a few weeks yet.

I'll update when it progresses but keen to hear any thoughts, especially around loading and shooting the 243 AI.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
budlight Posted - Sep 21 2017 : 21:38:12
Day time or night time with spot lights is legal for small game or varmint Rabbits up to coyotes on open range. With thousands of miles of open hunting on not improved roads Shooting from a high way or across paved roads is not allowed

Pigs and raccoons are all fair game all game tag type only are day light only

night vision, Thermal sights, laser light, spot light are legal for the road hunters of the greater USA in the best states
Zero333 Posted - Sep 20 2017 : 17:47:14
In Canada, shooting from inside a vehicle is not legal. A loaded firearm inside a vehicle is not legal either. Canada has no balls when it comes to gun laws.
budlight Posted - Sep 20 2017 : 11:37:25
quote:
Originally posted by Shastaboat

quote:
Originally posted by budlight

I'm an experienced "Road hunter of America" Lot of shooting out of vehicles. It helps to have long barrels when you are driving and your mate is shooting. Especially when the vermin are on your side of the vehicle so the gun barrel is in front of you and out your side window. Longer barrels keep the blast outside of your car. I have electronic ear muffs and it is still annoying to be any where near the end of the barrel.

lol... you are such a BS'r.

funny thing is that you have been one of the shooters while I was driving.
Shastaboat Posted - Sep 16 2017 : 18:53:39
quote:

I'm an experienced "Road hunter of America" Lot of shooting out of vehicles. It helps to have long barrels when you are driving and your mate is shooting. Especially when the vermin are on your side of the vehicle so the gun barrel is in front of you and out your side window. Longer barrels keep the blast outside of your car. I have electronic ear muffs and it is still annoying to be any where near the end of the barrel.

lol... you are such a BS'r.
budlight Posted - Sep 16 2017 : 13:29:26
Shastaboat Posted - Sep 15 2017 : 22:39:05
What powder are you using for 105 gr. You might try H100V. It has an equal burn rate to 4350. With 100 gr and 45 gr should get you right at 3100 fps in the std .243 Win. in a 22" barrel. 45.7 showed at max for Budlight. His load is 44.7 but I loaded to 45 gr and got 2990 fps in my 18" Ruger 77 Manlicher. I'm sure you can beat 3000 fps with 105's.
Zero333 Posted - Sep 15 2017 : 21:26:23
21.5" barrel chambered for the 243 AI shooting heavy heads might not be ideal but will work fine nevertheless.

I have a 22" 243win hunting rifle and velocities really suffer with the heavies. I got 105's up to 2,960 fps and thought that was about MAX with h-4831, H-1000 and Retumbo. 2.800" coal. Worst part was that the accuracy nodes were all below 2,850 fps. And with H-4831 best accuracy was around 2,720 fps.

The only cartridge I worked with that had phenomenal velocity in short barrels is the 308 Winchester.

budlight Posted - Sep 15 2017 : 20:38:05
maybe you should read this.

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html
bobnob Posted - Sep 15 2017 : 16:27:59
quote:

I hope that you didn't buy the barrel yet! I'm really a fan of my 26 inch 243 Rem 700 SPS Varminter with a 2 inch Holland muzzle brake.

It is really a problem getting the heavy .243 bullets going to higher velocity.

My powders of choice are the new Reloader 26 and the Hodgdon Superformance.

All I do is neck size my 243 win. I have found from Chrono testing my 257Roberts AI that just using the full powered load in the case to be fire formed produced identical velocity. So there is no reason to fire form and then reload at the AI reloading specs.

Budlight the barrel has been ordered but the only specs at this stage are that it is a 6mm, 7-twist, magnum contour in stainless.

I am still inclined to finish it around 21.5 inches. I believe it will balance and carry well that way. It will be also useful for the frequent instances where I am shooting from a vehicle.

Still haven't decided which way to go for the scope. I don't want the Hubble Telescope, something reasonably modest in weight and size. I like MilDot reticles and for banging steel and predators at long range it will have some kind of ele and windage turrets.

At first blush I will drop it into the Howa Hogue Varmint stock. It will get me going until I decide what to do long term. I think ultimately I may end up with a McMillan Game Scout but we will see.
Paul B Posted - Sep 06 2017 : 18:52:57
quote:
Originally posted by ethmoid1999

I understand Bob. I'm afraid the free world has much to learn about the right to keep and bear arms. I'm afraid they are going to learn the hard way from the followers of Muhammad. Every nation has strict rules regarding the importation of plants,animals, and microbes. It seems they have all denied that also should apply to humans. Most are genetically not isolated but they are certainly behaviorally isolated.

There is a law that was passed way back in 1952 that would have specifically banned Muslims due to them considering sharia law over our Constitution. Makes me mad as hell that our illustrious leaders refuse to enforce that law.
Paul B.
budlight Posted - Sep 06 2017 : 10:08:23
I hope that you didn't buy the barrel yet! I'm really a fan of my 26 inch 243 Rem 700 SPS Varminter with a 2 inch Holland muzzle brake.

It is really a problem getting the heavy .243 bullets going to higher velocity.

My powders of choice are the new Reloader 26 and the Hodgdon Superformance.

All I do is neck size my 243 win. I have found from Chrono testing my 257Roberts AI that just using the full powered load in the case to be fire formed produced identical velocity. So there is no reason to fire form and then reload at the AI reloading specs.
Shastaboat Posted - Aug 29 2017 : 19:02:22
That you probably will accomplish. (+)50-75 fps is about what you should get with the 243AI case. That should make the 22" barrel in AI = to the 24" std case. Now maybe if you were doing a 6MM AI, but darn that's a short action...time will tell if the effort is worth the results.
bobnob Posted - Aug 29 2017 : 15:52:47
Fair enough Shasta. It will be a bit of an experiment. I certainly found my 250 Sav AI to be a delight, neck sizing only the cases lasted and lasted, and I don't remember ever trimming.

We'll see how the 243 AI fares. I won't be hot rodding it. I'll aim for standard, 24" bbl 243 Win speeds from the AI version in the 21-22" bbl.
Shastaboat Posted - Aug 29 2017 : 12:28:00
I really don't think you will get that much more case life from a .243AI. .243 Win is the one and only case that I really have to watch case neck wall thickness as my rifle has a tight neck. I believe in .257AI, 6.5x55AI and 7x57AI but I don't think the .243AI will get you as much gain as it is already quite straight unlike the prior ones I listed. I vote no...lol...
ethmoid1999 Posted - Aug 29 2017 : 09:03:22
I understand Bob. I'm afraid the free world has much to learn about the right to keep and bear arms. I'm afraid they are going to learn the hard way from the followers of Muhammad. Every nation has strict rules regarding the importation of plants,animals, and microbes. It seems they have all denied that also should apply to humans. Most are genetically not isolated but they are certainly behaviorally isolated.

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06