Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 Lake City Primer Pockets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rozicrc Posted - May 17 2017 : 20:52:50
Hello everyone,
I was prepping a few hundred 308 Winchester cases from lake city last night, and when I was uniformity primer pockets I noticed that while some of the cases had primer pockets which were off axis from the center of the bullet. I noticed this on roughly half of the cases when running the tool into the pocket and letting the drill rotate the round. I checked this as well in a set of v blocks with a dial indicator, and some of the primer pockets are 0.012" off axis. It seems that the ones which had a crimp that was punched off center have this issue.

My question is has anyone seen this issue, and if so did it sinficanly affect accuracy? I can't imagine it would be very significant as the primer pocket hole is still on center, but I also don't want to spend time loading them if it is going to give me crappy results. I gave up on using h4895 for the rifle as I could not get SMK 168 grain to group better than 1 moa, and I am wondering if this was the issue as I used lake city 2011 to do the loads but did not notice it off axis at the time with that brass. Thanks in advance for any insight.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
budlight Posted - May 19 2017 : 00:04:55
Wyoming has brutal winters, but as to alimony alimony ensure that the paperwork has perameters. I had a greedy X but I got the alimony down to 2.5 years for 5 years of marriage. Ensure that you have a last payment date. They can ask for a million dollars and you can ask for 0 because it is the judge who decides
Rozicrc Posted - May 18 2017 : 23:21:24
That was supposed to be a smiley face but came out as a string of numbers
Rozicrc Posted - May 18 2017 : 23:19:50
Thanks guys for the replies. Shastaboat good news I am moving to Wyoming bad news is I am getting divorced and am paying alimony. I can no longer afford reloading or guns #128512;
budlight Posted - May 18 2017 : 23:15:17
I have found that inner and outer neck turning is a real key to accuracy

The bullet has to held centered to the bore.

Other than TAC, AR Comp is another excellent choice
budlight Posted - May 18 2017 : 23:05:14
I have been loading 100s upon 100s of 308 range brass. The LC brass primer pocket and flash hole variations are not a big deal

What is the big deal is the 5 or more grain loss of case volume compared to the comercial brass. So they have to have their own loading data and they can be made as accurate as comercial

One of the best powders that I have been using 8 pound jugs of is Ramshot TAC
Shastaboat Posted - May 18 2017 : 22:58:42
My second recommendation is to move somewhere close to a National Forest or BLM land where you can legally shoot.
Rozicrc Posted - May 18 2017 : 18:09:02
Shastaboat, I agree that is the easiest way. That being said I was hoping someone on the forum had experience doing just that. The nearest range to me is 1.5 hours away. I did not want to make a trip to shoot two groups, but also don't want to spend the time putting together a set of test loads if the results will in inconclusive data.
Shastaboat Posted - May 18 2017 : 17:54:53
Load 5 with offset primers and 5 with centered primers. Shoot two groups and report if you can measure the difference.
Rozicrc Posted - May 18 2017 : 17:20:26
Thanks rapier I appreciate it. Is the accuracy difference between your loads with lc and rip appreciable? Or around 0.5 moa
Rapier Posted - May 18 2017 : 15:56:52
I use GI brass for practice and RP commercial for match brass in my 223 cats like the 7 TCU. Or if it is just too bad, but still loads, I use the brass in my 16 inch AR carbine loads and let the kids shoot it.
Ed
Rozicrc Posted - May 18 2017 : 13:10:36
I am trying 4064 and 8208xbr next. My question was around the impact of any on accuracy others who have tried have seen. I can move the off kilter ones to the ar10 pile, but don't want to do that if it is not really material in practice
ethmoid1999 Posted - May 18 2017 : 08:42:41
You might try RL 15 and Varget in a few test loads. I use Varget but have had very promising groups with RL 15.
Onondaga Posted - May 18 2017 : 00:35:33
That's normal for GI brass. A primer pocket swage die for crimp removal will center them up.

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06