Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 "GREAT" CARTRIDGES COME AND GO!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
roysclockgun Posted - May 18 2017 : 09:35:11
When I first left active duty Army in 1964 I began looking for a deer rifle. My friendly gun shop owner touted the "new" Model 70 Winchester in 284Win. telling me that it would soon replace the 270Win.

That was the first "new and improved" cartridge that I encountered, pushed by the manufacturer and by gun magazine writers as being the greatest cartridge ever produced.

Many armchair shooters raced to buy a rifle in the most recently introduced cartridge, only to shortly learn that ammo was difficult if not impossible to find, because the "world beater new" cartridge was not selling enough rifles in that caliber for the maker to keep turning them out and so, unless one hand loaded, the rifle became in military lexicon, unsupportable.

How many of those "wonderful, new cartridges" that failed in the market place can you name?

Recently the 6.5 Creedmore has been touted everywhere where rifles are seen. I did read up on that cartridge and not surprisingly, it is not a winner against the venable 308Win. in terms of bench rest shooting. Plus it is reported that the barrel life of the 6.5 Creedmoor, is only half that of the 308Win.!

When I had my clock shop in Maryland and had to get an FFL in order to sell a couple milsurp rifles out of my shop, I had customers come in to get me to order one of the latest "Whiz Bang" calibers being touted in one of the rifles chambered for it. I had one customer who came back year after year to trade in last year acquisition, un-fired, for something that he now thought that he had to have. The lever action 450 Marlin being just one of them.

While the 450 Marlin is all but dead, rifles in 45-70 are still being produced and sold to people who have the false idea that those heavy bullets can bust brush and still stay on the course upon which the were set.

We have discussed the topic many times; "What caliber rifles would you own, if you could only keep three?" Most of us agree that the number of calibers offered could be trimmed down to six, or less and still cover every hunting need worldwide.

I have to admit, I have carried a rifle in 280Rem. for years and have never put factory ammo through it. Whether I am correct or not, I believe that in it's class of cartridges, the 280Rem. is superior to all others. I have killed; elk, mule deer, pronghorn, white tail, wild hogs, coyote and ground hogs. Shooting out to 400 yards. Not world class shooting, but my own personal limit at age 74.

My most recent elk was taken in Colorado. A bull at 280 yds. using 160 grain Barnes Solids. It did the job without breathing heavy.

What is your favorite obsolete or hard to find cartridge that you use today?

Best,
Steven
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hockeynick39 Posted - May 20 2017 : 19:06:35
Forgot the .405 Winchester, .45-70 Gov't, and the .404 Jeffery! Yeah, I like a big bore too!!!!!!
southdakbearfan Posted - May 20 2017 : 14:17:10
222 rem. turned many a thousand military 5.56 down to 222 rem. Still have 3 of them and always on the lookout for another.

257 roberts, although mine is an AI.

303 british
Paul B Posted - May 19 2017 : 17:12:05
quote:
Originally posted by budlight

Paul B. I own the 458X2 Barnes American. Cases are not hard to come by in lots of defunct rounds you just have to look up the parent case

375H&H is the parent of 458 win mag and the 458X2 Barnes wonderful round when using 405 gr Barnes X bullets

My other has the parent case of 7mm Mauser the 257Roberts AI

I understand completely. I make .375 Taylor ammo from 7MM Mag., .338 Mag and .458 Win. Mag. brass. I find the .458 the easiest to work with by just resizing and trimming just enough to square off the necks. I do the same with .338 brass. The 7 Mag brass has to have the necks opened using a couple of expanders. All shoot just fine.
Paul B.
budlight Posted - May 19 2017 : 10:30:09
Paul B. I own the 458X2 Barnes American. Cases are not hard to come by in lots of defunct rounds you just have to look up the parent case

375H&H is the parent of 458 win mag and the 458X2 Barnes wonderful round when using 405 gr Barnes X bullets

My other has the parent case of 7mm Mauser the 257Roberts AI
ethmoid1999 Posted - May 19 2017 : 08:23:47
Think you are right about some of the compact magnums. The 45 GAP also seems to have never caught on.
roysclockgun Posted - May 19 2017 : 07:06:19
Remington appears to lead the pack, in terms of bringing out what are touted as "great new cartridges" and within a few years, they are dropped and for the most part, only survive in the hands of hand loaders.

That whole wave of "Short Magnums" and "Super Short Magnums" appears to have had their day.
ethmoid1999 Posted - May 18 2017 : 22:49:08
My brother and I have some of these fossils. The 450 Marlin is a frog stomper. It is impressive. We have brass. The 264 WinMag is another fossil. The 303 Savage. I have a 250 Savage in Savage 99. One of my favorites is 222 Remington. The 225 Winchester as well as the 224 Weatherby are rare. I still shoot 6mm. So many wonderful cartridges have come and gone. I still load and shoot 44-40 and 22hornet. How about a 32 Winchester special? I have an empty case. 22 Remington Jet, 219 Zipper, 218 Bee, The Donnelson and Ackley wildcats. So many more. If you have brass and dies and bullets, they still live. Another fossil I remember...Winchester 22 RF... I suppose called 22 Winchester.
Hockeynick39 Posted - May 18 2017 : 18:49:13
.44 WCF (.44-40), .30-40 Krag, and 6mm Lee-Navy. However, my favorite of all time is the 6.5 x 55 SE, it just plain kills whatever you point it at!
Shastaboat Posted - May 18 2017 : 17:58:45
My favorite cartridge is one of my own design and equals the .280 Rem. I call it the 7X57SAI (Super Ackley Improved). I have the only reamer in the world for it as far as I know.
Paul B Posted - May 18 2017 : 16:21:14
"While the 450 Marlin is all but dead, rifles in 45-70 are still being produced and sold to people who have the false idea that those heavy bullets can bust brush and still stay on the course upon which the were set."

Interesting story about that round. Way back more than a few years ago, some people wanted top 45-70 results but did not want to mess with or download the .458 Win. Mag. Thus entered the wildcat .458X2" onto the scene. Worked just fine. When the .450 Marlin came out they put a wider belt on the case so reloaders could not use .458 Win. Mag. brass turned down to 2". The brass maker was just a bit too greedy and I sometimes wonder if that wasn't the reason people didn't like the round, the very expensive brass.
If you check load data for the two, they're very close.
Paul B.
Rapier Posted - May 18 2017 : 15:39:30
I just have to list my favorite types; ARs, Bolt Actions and Single Shots. The AR is just a neat little tinker toy of a gun, too much fun in one custom package especially with night sights and cans attached.

Now if you build a custom Mini 14 it can be a very reliable, fun and accurate rifle also.
Ed
WonderMan4 Posted - May 18 2017 : 12:29:38
To minimize the list: 38-55, 45-100, and 460 Wby. Those are the top three with maybe 4 others that are off the list.

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06