Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 ar15 load help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sakokiwi Posted - Mar 06 2017 : 00:55:10
Hi guys I am loading 223 for a mate and have read a couple of articles that perscribe that the shells need to be crimped, the rifle is a rock river ar15 type.
Does anyone have an opinion on to do or not
Cheers
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
steve4102 Posted - Mar 09 2017 : 09:55:47
quote:
Originally posted by magman

crimp it! You don't won't bullet creep when fireing your AR or any reload! UnCrimped Bullets will Creep out, making a longer OAL. Loose bullets cause problems in any firearm!
Good Luck!
May You Do Well!
Cheap, Fast, Good. You Only Only Get Two Of The Three!
Magman

Here is a good read on the subject.

Note even the factory ammo with more neck tension than handloads can produce still moved forward.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm

If ya don't want to read the whole article, just scroll down to "neck tension".

I crimp all my handloads for my Semi-Autos with the Lee factory Crimp die. The taper Crimp has proved to be useless for me. YMMV

Not only does the Lee factory Crimp die secure the bullet it improves accuracy.

Try-it-you-will-like-it.
magman Posted - Mar 07 2017 : 22:38:09
crimp it! You don't won't bullet creep when fireing your AR or any reload! UnCrimped Bullets will Creep out, making a longer OAL. Loose bullets cause problems in any firearm!
Good Luck!
May You Do Well!
Cheap, Fast, Good. You Only Only Get Two Of The Three!
Magman
Onondaga Posted - Mar 07 2017 : 05:14:42
sakokiwi

Your question is so basic I'm believing you are pretty new to at least loading .223 for an AR. I am very experienced in the caliber and firearm with jacketed and cast bullets for an AR and recommend you only load bullets with a cannelure and keep your brass checked/trimmed every cycle and always seat the bullets so the cannelure is located for the crimp. Also 1/2 the way between Minimum and MAXIMUM charge from the powder maker's recommended .223 load shoots safe, accurately and reliably.

Don't contract the rampantly contagious velocity disease and stay at least 5% below MAXIMUM loads until you become a genius at interpreting pressure signs and measuring pressure rings in ORDER while working up a load.

Gary
Onondaga Posted - Mar 06 2017 : 21:53:57
sakokiwi

Carrying loaded ammunition in boxes, traveling carrying and handling ammo and carrying ammo in loaded magazines in the field all can set back bullets that are not crimped. There are a lot of variables in brass and loading methods that leave you vulnerable to bullet set back with reloaded ammunition. Error toward safety and crimp everything you shoot in a semi-auto .223. Do not rely on anybody's estimation of your neck tension on your bullets. Follow the well established safety mandate to crimp all ammo for semi-auto .223.

Gary
Shastaboat Posted - Mar 06 2017 : 14:52:05
I do not crimp .223/5.56 and shoot both in AR's and in bolt guns. If your AR has M3 feed ramps you should not have a problem and should not need to crimp. Bye the way, I have had some sqibb loads that missed getting powdered and never has a primer pushed the 55 gr bullets out of the case neck into the throat on any of my weapons. The neck tension is adequate if loading to a 2.25" OAL for feeding in an AR15.
Onondaga Posted - Mar 06 2017 : 03:54:40
sakokiwi

Crimping is recommended for safety in all ammo fired in semi-auto firearms. Every basic reloading manual discusses this and so do the die maker instructions. The .223 is a light recoil cartridge so some believe no crimp is OK. Don't go against safety recommendations and risk bullet setback in rounds in the magazine. Bullet setback causes dangerous pressure spike on firing and serious danger risk to the shooter and innocent bystanders.

There are 3 types of crimping; roll, taper and collet. Learn the difference but any of the three is sufficient for safety in .223 when die maker instructions are followed exactly.

Gary

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06