Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 Load request
 Recipes for 7mm Rem Mag

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sarampion Posted - May 01 2011 : 20:14:52
Hi, I need a good recipe for a 7mm rem mag, I only have 160gr SBT sierra bullets, CCI primers 250 or Federal GM210 and H380 and Varget powder.
Its a Rem 700 Bolt Action
Thanks for you help
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
OKIE2 Posted - May 23 2013 : 06:04:57
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeynick39

I ran some data on QL and this is what it gave me for a Rem 700 with 26" bbl in 7mm Mag. 62.9 gr RL22 min. for 2870 fps to 68.4 gr RL22 for 3109 fps. with a COL of 3.290". Hope this helps as the program doesn't allow for primers to be changed out yet for more specific data.

my most accurate is with 140 balistic tip and 68 grains of RL22
3 shots one round hole from savage 110
Bobo7mmmag Posted - May 17 2013 : 21:52:47
I have used IMR-7828 prior to the SSC version. Got over 3,000 fps with a 175 grain Nosler Partition bullet out of my 24 inch 7mm Rem Mag. Bad to the Bone powder. Excellent choice.

Remington has used this powder in their 7mm Mag factory loads for 50 years.
ColoradoHunter Posted - May 17 2013 : 20:56:21
Bobo7mmmag, thanks. I haven't been able to find any RL-25. But I'll keep on looking. I did find some IMR-7828 SSC today, so I bought a pound. Have you ever used the super short cut?
Bobo7mmmag Posted - May 17 2013 : 20:33:47
Colorado:

A new gun RL-25 and IMR-7828 would be a good place to start with 140 to 160 grain bullets.

Retumbo works well with 168 to 175 grain bullets.
swampshooter Posted - May 08 2013 : 00:06:24
I love my 7 mag, it's on its second barrel. I use it elk hunting with success. But it is not a brown bear cartridge no matter what anybody says. I would gladly hunt black bear with it, but not brown bear or grizzly. The 7 mag doesn't have the bullet diameter or weight to be a bear stopper. PS. My current elk load is a 160 gr. Nosler AccuBond/ 66 gr. RL 22/ Federal 215 primer/ Norma cases/ loaded .030" off the lands. Velocity is just a hair under 3,000 fps. It kills elk well but it's not a hammer like a 338 mag with 250 gr. bullets is. I've used both extensively along with a 300 mag and a 375 Weatherby. I'm well past retirement age and just don't like much heavy recoil anymore.
ColoradoHunter Posted - May 01 2013 : 23:23:36
quote:
Originally posted by Bobo7mmmag

Newer guns have tighter chambers and can not take the charges that older looser chambers can. Best to get a Chrony and treat each 7mm RM as a separate round.

I realize this is an old thread, but it was very helpful to me to read through it. I particularly appreciated what Bobo7 said above.

My son just bought a Savage in 7mm Rem mag, and I've not loaded for it before, so I'm doing all the reading I can on it.

Just joined the forum last week and have already really benefited from the info.
Joe King Posted - Jul 08 2012 : 11:00:25
quote:
Originally posted by fat2000

I have a Remington 770 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and I was told that using IMR4350 with a 140 Grain Nosler Accubond with 65 grains charge would give me great velocity and it would be great for hunting Deer size game and if I used it with 160 and 175 grain bullets it will allow me to bring down Elk and Bear. I read an article in Successful Hunter Magazine, that kind of confirmed this. What do you guys think? What would be a good recipe to load for my Rem 770? If I wanted a cartridge that I can use not only for Deer sized game but also for dangerous game as well. I want to hunt bear and I am not the best shot but I do ok and don't want to make a mistake and then it turns on me. I also want to hunt Moose and Elk. I normally hunt with a Bow but hunting with a rifle has been very fun and rewarding for me as well. Thanks for any suggestions you guys may provide.

give these a look, I just got some 168gr VLD, they cost me $46.50 to my door, so far the load workup is with 5 different charge weights with RL22, Arbitrarily seated 0.035" off the lands. every load went atleast 1moa or better, I haven't even gotten to trying to tune the load yet. So I would say their pretty damned accurate bullets. The few folks I've heard from that use them have gone exclusively to them, add to that, that he makes bonded bullets as well at a price point comparable to other bonded core bullets made by mass manufacturing. Seems like a win all around to me.

http://matrixballistics.com/.284-Caliber-rifle-bullets.html
fat2000 Posted - Jun 26 2012 : 12:41:34
quote:
Originally posted by wilbar

Fat2000:

Regarding the A-Max,

Hornady sells it as a Target Bullet. It is NOT recommended for game. When a reloader or hunter makes a decision to use a component or charge that is not recommended by the manufacturer or publisher that is a personal decision. Such choices should be made with the utmost of care, and encouraging others to do them could be very irresponsible.

If you want a bullet with a high BC and good expansion then try Hornady's SST which they do recommend for game. With a 7 Rem Mag and a spire point boat tail there's too little difference in trajectory to risk using a match bullet instead of a game bullet.

Hornady's Website lists bullets by caliber and the BC's when you click on an individual bullet, you can then use their online ballistic calculator to see the difference in trajectory and retained energy.

Federal Premium's website allows you to compare ammo and with the 7mag with similar weight bullets they're all within 6" of each other at 500yds. Too little difference to risk losing a wounded animal.

Have fun with your Big 7,

Willy

I appreciate you clearing that up for me Willy. Game rounds is all I am interested in and maybe a few target loads are not a bad idea but I want to make sure that my shots count when it comes to hunting. I have seen what Hornady has to offer and I will definitely keep the SST in mind when reloading game rounds. Thanks again and I will have loads of fun with my Big 7.

Frank
wilbar Posted - Jun 25 2012 : 02:20:10
Fat2000:

Regarding the A-Max,

Hornady sells it as a Target Bullet. It is NOT recommended for game. When a reloader or hunter makes a decision to use a component or charge that is not recommended by the manufacturer or publisher that is a personal decision. Such choices should be made with the utmost of care, and encouraging others to do them could be very irresponsible.

If you want a bullet with a high BC and good expansion then try Hornady's SST which they do recommend for game. With a 7 Rem Mag and a spire point boat tail there's too little difference in trajectory to risk using a match bullet instead of a game bullet.

Hornady's Website lists bullets by caliber and the BC's when you click on an individual bullet, you can then use their online ballistic calculator to see the difference in trajectory and retained energy.

Federal Premium's website allows you to compare ammo and with the 7mag with similar weight bullets they're all within 6" of each other at 500yds. Too little difference to risk losing a wounded animal.

Have fun with your Big 7,

Willy

Bobo7mmmag Posted - Jun 24 2012 : 14:58:03
Joe King:

I have an old Parker Hale Super 1200 from around 1974 in 7mm RM that takes powder charges that are on par with my 7mm STW. I will not publish them. It has lots of "Free-Bore" and the chamber is so large that even Full Length re-sized brass will not chamber in my 1996 Browning A-Bolt also in 7mm RM.
fat2000 Posted - Jun 21 2012 : 12:40:58
quote:
Originally posted by bobnob

quote:

quote:

Why not an A-Max?

quote:

I dont think its tough enough to rely on it to go through and hit the heart and lungs.

I definitely need something that will penetrate and hit the vitals. Very important for a clean kill. I am kind of leaning towards a Partition or a GMX. But I need to get the right formula to avoid blowing my barrel up. I am not looking to be the next best Bench Rest Shooter, I just want to reload my own hunting loads that will be the most reliable instead of purchasing factory loads all the time. I do go to the range to keep my riffle sighted and to get in some practice before hunting season.

Well it sounds like you have your head screwed in pretty well.

A good strong bullet like a Partition at moderate speed will do the business as long as its of appropriate weight and width.

Then you just need to do your bit. I am sure you will!

Well, Thank you and I do appreciate your help. I will everything here into consideration and make sure that I reload the best possible loads for my rifle. Thanks again for your help.
bobnob Posted - Jun 21 2012 : 05:49:27
quote:

quote:

Why not an A-Max?

quote:

I dont think its tough enough to rely on it to go through and hit the heart and lungs.

I definitely need something that will penetrate and hit the vitals. Very important for a clean kill. I am kind of leaning towards a Partition or a GMX. But I need to get the right formula to avoid blowing my barrel up. I am not looking to be the next best Bench Rest Shooter, I just want to reload my own hunting loads that will be the most reliable instead of purchasing factory loads all the time. I do go to the range to keep my riffle sighted and to get in some practice before hunting season.

Well it sounds like you have your head screwed in pretty well.

A good strong bullet like a Partition at moderate speed will do the business as long as its of appropriate weight and width.

Then you just need to do your bit. I am sure you will!
fat2000 Posted - Jun 20 2012 : 09:35:38
quote:

Why not an A-Max?

quote:

bobnob Posted - Jun 20 2012 : 06:15:12

[/quote]

Why not an A-Max?
[/quote]

Joe King Posted - Jun 19 2012 : 17:56:47
quote:
Originally posted by Bobo7mmmag

Newer guns have tighter chambers and can not take the charges that older looser chambers can. Best to get a Chrony and treat each 7mm RM as a separate round.

How so? Mine is wearing a Douglass barrel so it obviously has a custom chamber which is very tight, and I can regularly go over book max by a pretty good amount before pressure signs begin to show.

+1 on the chrony and loading for each rifle separately.

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2013 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06