Reloader's Nest Forum
Reloader's Nest Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Reloading General
 General forum
 6mm Remington gamble ...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
marshhawk Posted - Jan 10 2017 : 16:13:51
I was just about to order a new Ruger in 6mm Creedmore when I happened upon a Ruger M77 in that caliber in the used rack at a local gun shop. It is heavy-barreled, has a flattened forend and appears to have an after-market compensator (on a 6mm?). The barrel is a bit dirty (after 2 oiled patches passed through by the counterman). Owner wants $500, but I'm realistically looking at new scope rings (front askew) and reloading dies plus brass. I'm a newbie at these smaller calibers. Any reality check would be helpful.
Much thanks,
the hawk
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zero333 Posted - Jan 13 2017 : 23:57:08
What Gary said and a few more basic things...

6mm Creedmore is a Wildcat, necked down from 6.5 creedmoor, and most of the time when you neck down it's a good idea to turn the necks. Sometimes it's mandatory.

6mm Creedmoor has a limited life of around 2,000 to 3,000 competition rounds and when looking at any used rifle I always assume the barrel is toast and needs a new one. Which will cost at least $500 for a barrel and gunsmithing.

I would TOTALLY get a NEW Ruger RPR in 6mm Creedmoor. And to make things better, many barrel makers offer Pre-fit Ruger RPR barrels in many different chamberings at reasonable prices ! With a barrel nut wrench, go and no-go gauges and a barrel vice you can swap your own barrels for the rest of your and the rifles life !
Onondaga Posted - Jan 10 2017 : 16:53:49
marshhawk

Here is a reality check:

Used rifles are a gamble and you won't be sure till you work up loads and see what you can do. The sellers return policy should be implicitly satisfactory to you for testing or don't buy the rifle is my advice. Looking nice and a happy price are irrelevant if the rifle shoots all over the place and you can't return it.

Being setup to load for the caliber before buying the rifle will make smooth a short trial period, say 30 days. But if you are not ready to work up several loads immediately, you are blind buying and risk a lemon.

Inexpensive bore scopes are easy to find and are also a big deal when considering used rifles. Many times a 2 minute look is all that is necessary to make a decision.

The first things I look at in a used bolt rifle are:
1) the bolt face, copper on the bolt face indicates poor fit or a high pressure loading history.
2) muzzle crown clarity under 6 to 10X magnification.
3) scope the bore to evaluate finish quality and erosion damage.

Additionally, if Federal brand match ammo is available for the caliber it is a good standard. If you are a decent marksman, the Federal Match ammo should group 5 shots under 1" at 100 yards the very first time you try. If you have never had any rifle that consistently groups 10 shots under 1" at 100 yards for you, you are not an expert, have an expert test the rifle.

Gary

Reloader's Nest Forum © 2016 ReloadersNest Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06